CHIEF seeks an accomplished Communications Manager to define and implement an outreach strategy with a public-sector client in the earth sciences field. The Communications Manager will be on site at the client offices in Washington, DC and responsible for developing and executing a strategic communications vision that elevates and celebrates the client’s successes and that turns existing communications efforts into a coordinated outreach plan.
The ideal candidate will have at least 8 years of strategic communications experience, preferably in a management or leadership role involving multiple stakeholders. Knowledge of earth sciences, experience in government or the public sector, and experience in PR are preferred.
What You'll Do
- Manage and orchestrate communications activities
- Oversee and/or conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis to gain an understanding of the client’s current communications efforts, internal processes and practices. This may include (but not be limited to): Facilitating user interviews, surveys, and focus groups; conducting market analysis including analytics reviews, demographic research, media consumption.
- Effectively distill and deliver insights and actionable recommendations to define and prioritize future marketing and communications initiatives
- Maintain strategic oversight to ensure distinct communications activities are interconnected and provide a seamless experience for the client, its partners and other external audiences.
- Craft a long-term communications strategy with an optimized marketing mix that may include, but not be limited to: Social media and digital outreach, public relations and paid media, partnerships, events, creative collateral, and editorial content calendars.
- Conduct ongoing evaluation and measurement of marketing efforts, including optimization based on results.
- Oversee development of creative collateral including (but not limited to): Marketing copy, emails, brochures, event collateral, press materials, infographics and data visualizations, annual reports, social media content, blog posts, business collateral, animation and motion graphics.
- Oversee web strategy and coordinate development, maintenance, and posting of information.
- Identify team training needs on communications and organize training opportunities
- Proactively recommend the right tools, data sources and platforms to ensure they provide value for the client.
- Ideal candidate has contextual knowledge and experience in the following areas (but not limited to): Brand strategy, content strategy, marketing analytics, messaging platforms, copywriting, social media, user experience (UX), events and partnerships, and media relations.
What It Takes
- 8+ years experience in strategic communications, preferably in a management or leadership role.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field.
- Strong writing and public speaking skills.
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills, including scientific or technical storytelling.
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, program participants, and other supporters.
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Familiarity with market research and analysis tools like Google Analytics, ComScore, GfK MRI, Kantar, Moz, social monitoring (Crimson Hexagon, Sysomos, Sprinkler, or Spredfast).