The Technical Project Manager (PM) leads technical projects according to tight deadlines and within scope and budget. CHIEF Technical PMs represent the firm’s brand by being the client’s key point of contact and advocate throughout the project lifecycle, particularly for web development and maintenance work and other technical projects. Technical PMs have a solid understanding of the various phases of technical work, including discovery, user experience, design, development, testing, and deployment. They work collaboratively with clients as well as creative and technical team members to ensure the highest quality services are provided across all types of projects for government, commercial and nonprofit clients.
Technical PMs must be comfortable unraveling requirements and creating plans for complicated technical and web development projects. Responsibilities include: scope, schedule and budget management; testing and quality assurance; project team coordination; client servicing; and contract administration and management. Technical PMs coordinate project resources and the efforts of team members and third-party contractors or consultants to deliver projects according to plan. Technical PMs work closely with CHIEF’s Technical Managers (TMs), who oversee the development team’s efforts and manage project backlogs and internal project activities.
What You'll Do
- Collaborate with Technical Managers (TMs) to develop plans for web and technical projects, including development, migration, testing and deployment timelines.
- With the support of the technical team, perform testing activities for WordPress and/or Drupal websites, applications, and other technical products and services.
- Develop and deliver full-scale project plans, progress reports, and requirements documentation to clients and internal project teams.
- Contribute in a multi-disciplinary team environment to create comprehensive, strategic technical solutions for clients, based on their business goals.
- Successfully manage, track and report budget utilization internally and externally, and work with senior management to ensure project resourcing is appropriate and project budgets are effectively managed.
- Manage changes in project scope, identify potential risks, and work with senior management to devise contingency plans where needed.
- Conduct project closeout summaries and create recommendations reports to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements.
- Monitor and analyze general profitability and utilization across multiple projects.
- Coordinate with accounting department for invoicing and hours reporting.
- Establish and maintain positive client relationships. Understand client needs, and advocate on behalf of clients to ensure project success.
- Build, develop, and grow business relationships vital to the success of the project.
- Other duties as requested and required.
What It Takes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Knowledge and background in management of technical projects required.
- Familiarity with content management systems a plus. Experience with Drupal and/or WordPress preferred.
- 3+ years direct work experience in a technical project or account management capacity, including all aspects of process development and execution.
- Familiarity with agile development techniques. Agile or scrum certification a plus.
- Familiarity with project management fundamentals, such as PMBOK.
- Familiarity with project management software, such as MS Project.
- Advanced understanding of MS Office Suite, specifically MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to conform to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines in a high-pressure environment is essential.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Ability to build a collaborative working environment with cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, clients, and other departments.
- Experience working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.