CHIEF seeks an accomplished Communications Specialist to advance an outreach strategy with a public-sector client in the earth sciences field. The Communications Specialist will split time between the client site and CHIEF offices in Washington, DC and responsible for operationalizing a strategic communications vision that elevates and celebrates the client’s successes and that turns existing communications efforts into a coordinated outreach plan.
The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of strategic communications experience, preferably in a leadership role involving multiple stakeholders. Knowledge of earth sciences, experience in government or the public sector, and experience in PR are preferred.
What You'll Do
- Oversee communication planning and implementation activities in coordination with broader client communications team.
- Coordinate client announcements and communication needs with internal and external stakeholders, defining communication plans and opportunities and completing associated work.
- Identify and pursue public relations opportunities across the client portfolio.
- Collaborate with and executes the client’s internal communication and public affairs priorities through copywriting (e.g. web or blog features, press releases, media pitches, social media content, etc.).
- Maintain strategic relationships with client and internal communications stakeholders.
- Proactively recommend the right tools, data sources and platforms to ensure they provide value for the client.
- Ideal candidate has contextual knowledge and experience in the following areas (but not limited to): Public relations, media outreach, event marketing and partnerships, content strategy, marketing analytics, messaging platforms, copywriting, and social media.
What It Takes
- 5+ years experience in strategic communications, preferably in a leadership role.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field.
- Strong writing and public speaking skills.
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills, including scientific or technical storytelling.
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Exceptional organization and ability to collaborate with diverse teams to efficiently manage communications work.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, program participants, and other supporters.
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Familiarity with market research and analysis tools like Google Analytics, Cision / PR Newswire, ComScore, GfK MRI, Kantar, Moz, social monitoring (Sysomos, Sprinkler, or Spredfast).